VegOttawa Association, formerly known as The National Capital Vegetarian Association (NCVA), is a not-for-profit membership-based organization created to educate the public about the health benefits of plant-based diets for the improvement of public health. VegOttawa strives to represent people in Ottawa and the National Capital Region who are vegan, plant based, vegetarian or supportive of the many benefits of consuming plants.
The public benefits from VegOttawa’s work because of increased awareness of preventative health care strategies that are aided by healthy diet and lifestyle, while those following a plant-based diet benefit from improved access to information, connections with like-minded community members, and an improved social infrastructure supporting a plant-based diet.
VegOttawa is working to create an environment within which everyone has the knowledge and ability to take control of their own health, prevent health problems from occurring, and live healthier lifestyles overall.
VegOttawa’s objectives include:
- Increasing public awareness about the benefits of plant-based diets and help people make healthier, greener and more compassionate dietary and lifestyle choices.
- Providing support and advice to those interested in, considering, or practising vegetarian and vegan lifestyles.
- Providing support to businesses and restaurants to improve plant-based food options to respond to the growing demand for vegetarian and vegan consumers.
- Connecting like-minded community members and improving the social infrastructure that supports a plant based diet.
- Actively seeking media coverage of vegetarian and vegan issues. Serve as a resource for local, regional, and national television, radio, and print media.