It’s on! The NCVA will hold a fundraiser in support of Esther the Wonder Pig. She’s the 6-pound mini pig turned 500-pound meat pig whose two dads went vegan and are now trying to build her a farm sanctuary.
The fundraiser will take place at the Great Glebe Garage sale on Saturday, May 24th. We’ll be selling baked goods and used items on Glebe Avenue, somewhere between Percy and Bronson.
The slew of enthusiastic thumbs up that this fundraiser idea got a few days ago has lead me to believe that we’ll have volunteers aplenty. Right?
1) Bakers: Any vegan baked goods will do, especially anything pig-themed. Think pink-frosted cupcakes with pig faces on. Or tofurky pigs-in-a-blanket. Or pig-shaped cookies. Or faux ham and cheese biscuits. Or maple-facon cupcakes. Hopefully you can drop them off, but I’m also looking for a volunteer picker-upper.
I also need someone to make pink lemonade and coffee and bring it to the sale.
2) Garage sale donations: Pretty much everything is welcome. Though for obvious reasons, we won’t sell animal products like fur, leather, etc. Again, hopes are you can drop them off.
3) Picker-upper: Someone who will pick up baked goods and used items from people who can’t drop them off.
4) Set-up and tear down.
5) Sales: People to “man” the tables, selling treats and/or garage sale stuff. I’m hoping to have a lot of person power so someone can be on hand to just talk to people about Esther, veganism, etc.
6) Signs and decorations: I’m thinking a big poster of Esther with a synopsis of her “story” plus some leaflets about Esther and her indiegogo campaign. What else…? A sign saying “Ask me about Esther the Wonder Pig”? Pink tablecloths? Pink balloons? I’m not particularly artistic, so I’ll happily defer to whoever volunteers for this task. And it’s an important one. The sale might make $1000 or so, but a single generous donor – enlightened by our leaflet and charmed by our piggy decor – could beat that with the click of a mouse button.
So please head over to the volunteer sign up page and pick your task.
And if you’ve got suggestions for how to make the fundraiser better, do share. I’m throwing this event together at the speed of light because of time constraints, but your input is more than welcome.